Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A Piece of Heritage: inspired

With Mother's Day coming up I thought I would dig out this "Heritage" block and start working on it! I don't know why I didn't get it out sooner but sometimes that's just how it is. Anyway at least it's out now and I'm finally making progress it will be finished soon! I started out putting in 3 spiderweb roses and then ideas started forming and I held tryouts for hours! LOL
I added this button cluster of vintage mother of pearl buttons and a silk ribbon bow on the large one. To the left you see the flower in the antique lace has a sequin and a cream pearl pinned, if you look at the large photo you'll see two vintage leaves pinned too with some small light cream lace on the seam underneath.
I also added a butterfly applique Lillian had given me!
I'm still adding to this motif, the 3 spiderweb roses started it all then the vintage wedding lace, the vintage rhinestone and cream pearls, and finally the bronze leaves. I'm planning on adding cream sweetheart roses mixed in.
I coffee dyed the butterflies, one is an applique and the other is a little tatted butterfly that Gerard made and I had saved for just the right spot! I figured it was perfect for his Mom's special block.
I also added a simple feather stitch to the seam in cream bamboo thread!
I have a few other special ideas to finish off this block but I'm saving them for later, plus I need to finish sewing these things down! LOL
It's such a special block I just love it!

7 comments:

LadyV said...

The block is beautiful!

Your compositions are superb. I especially love the antiqued butterflies.

Vee
http://brokenneedle.typepad.com

Jane said...

It's beautiful, like the bow on the button, an unusual touch

Unknown said...

This is gorgeous! Love the Taupe colored tatted butterfly! It looks like the perfect touch! :)

Nancy G said...

You have such an amazing gift. Thank you, for sharing what you do so well, with us. *smile*

Anonymous said...

So beautiful! I love everything you've done with this block, especially the bronze leaves. Are they vintage?

dawn

Melissa said...

Thank you everyone!!!

Dawn,
The large filigree leaves are vintage but the small ones are pressed metal I got on etsy.com I believe the seller makes them or gets them from somewhere.

Kathy Raker said...

The block is beautiful. Love the butterflies and the vintage lace.