Saturday, February 12, 2011

Tea Party Piece: Coming Together!

  After each block was pieced I basted them outside the 6 inch block line and then cut them down to 7 inch blocks which will give me a nice and large seam allowance to sew them together!
Once I cut them all down I started playing with placement and this is what I ended up deciding on!  I just fiddle, flip, turn, and switch the blocks until I feel everything is as balanced as it can be!
I also love to see the photo at this stage it gives me a better "birds eye view" and overall feel!
I'm really adoring this piece it just feels so cheerful and sweet the perfect atmosphere of a tea party with dear friends!
Now that I think of it, I think this is a good description of the reason why I didn't piece any tea prints into my blocks.  I like that the fabrics in rose prints, pinks, and greens give an "atmosphere" for building a tea party with embellishments.  This way I don't have to worry about covering over tea prints with embellishments too.
In this photo you can see I cut out the prints of tea cups which I plan to applique on the piece.  This is just a "tryout" to give me an idea of how I'll do things.  I'm hoping that the prints will look okay when I applique them in place.  I'm a little worried because of the gold lines, I think I'll have to try to applique up next to them but not right on them...hmm sounds tricky...we shall see.
The rose print fabric I have folded in the center is what I'm considering making the teapot out of.  Once I have all the blocks sewn together I will work on the center applique of a teapot and creamer and sugar.  Then I'll probably applique all the teacups on and start embellishment.
Wow this piece is HUGE but I love it, it's going to be so fun to work on!  I'm also thinking of getting a huge quilters hoop to work on this...we'll see how that goes too!


Karla Hartzog said...

Oh, so pretty!

Anonymous said...

I love it, it will look so nice when done. Can't wait to see it finished. Linda