Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Trying out a new shuttle and pattern

When I saw this tatted heart on TattingChic's blog, I just knew I had to tat it up! The pattern is "Hearts Desire" by Susan K Fuller. I've been seeing it tatted up quite a bit now, I guess it's just that pretty that you just are compelled to tat it! LOL
I also recently bought an Aero Shuttle to try out. I know there is an ever present debate among tatters of the Aero vs. Clover shuttles and I personally love the little Clover post style shuttles but I wanted to give the Aero a try. I totally understand why both sides either love it or hate it, I'm kinda in between. I didn't mind size and shape that was good the thing at the end gets a little in the way but that can be gotten used to. I did like the hook for times when I want the hook it was especially handy for tatting over ends and joining. On the flip side there were more than plenty a moment when I needed to unpick and the hook just wouldn't do and I had to reach for a clover shuttle to use the nice thin and pointy pick to unpick stitches. It strikes me real funny how much I rely on unpicking! For example if a picot is not the right size I usually partially unpick it to either loosen or tighten to get it more even with the rest (yes I do pull on the picot for the too small ones as well), not to mention the moments that I accidentally add to many stitches or some such! LOL The only other negative for me is when I'm closing rings since I'm used to the post shuttles I use the shuttle for tension and with a bobbin if you do that it unwinds. So I'll prob still use the Aero shuttle for projects that I'll use a hook a lot, otherwise I think my favorite little post shuttle will stay. You know what I think would be a great idea? Either adding a pick end to an Aero or a hook end to a Clover and then I'd be all set! LOL

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Good job on your heart...and to each their own on the aero vs. shuttle thing, I say. There's no right or wrong. Maybe you could go on that Invention show and get those rich investors to pay for the manufacturing of your idea...lol. My thing, though is I just use the hook of the aero to unpick, it's small enough for me. Also when your picot is just a tad too small you can just pull up a bit and usually get it the "right" size. That might save some unpicking.

Melissa said...

I definitely agree there everyone should always make up their own mind as to what they like to work with!
HAHA If tatting was more popular I'm sure the investors might do it...oh well...LOL
OH I DO pull on the picot it's a combo thing sometimes pulling on it is not enough and you have to unpick to loosen...I do not undo the stitch all the way just loosen it and retighten at the right amount then pull it if it needs more adjusting if it was a too small. And for me the hook is for sure NOT small enough to do it (too rounded), I need the picks nice and pointy little tip...can ya tell I love the pick tip? LOL
But really it's a wonderful thing being able to share with others the reasons behind what you like and don't like. It's fun, and helpful to others and to help others find what they would like the best too.

Unknown said...

I TOTally agree. You're awesome, Melissa.

Melissa said...

That's because YOU are totally the awesomest!!!