Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Silk Ribbon Embroidery


My first try at Silk Ribbon Embroidery (SRE for short)! I had spotted this Anna Griffen SRE kit and others in the embroidery section of Michael's and decided to get one of the small projects to see if I liked it and could do it. So I bought the journal and a how-to video. When I sat down to embroider I ended up finishing the whole thing in one evening! I loved it! Gorgeous, fun, and easy! I loved the results so I went and got a more difficult kit. A pillowsham with our monogram on it. I completed the pillowsham in about 3 days. After that I was thinking of ways I could design my own things to embroider. Anna Griffin also has booklets that have already planned embroidery designs that you can iron transfer to anything you wish to embroider on. So I decided to do a tablecloth and napkin set which I am almost done with. I'll post about that later. I've also done a few other projects like the red velvet purse I got as purse kit at walmart and I added my own SRE design to it. The necklace I made by making a spider web rose on some fabric and cutting it out around it and placing it in the locket-type pendant I got in the bead section of Micheal's and I added a Swarovski crystal bead and tied a bow with a little piece of silk ribbon.
My suggestion to anyone who would like to try SRE is to buy an Anna Griffin kit for under $10 and if you are a visual learner grab her how-to video as well. SRE really is fast and easy and it's wonderful to be able to create something so pretty even when you are a beginner. Go for it! Try something new!

6 comments:

Jo in NZ said...

Welcome to blogging Melissa.
You SRE is lovely, and that little red velvet number is just stunning!!

Lil said...

Melissa,

Your work is lovely and your garden is great. Seeing your passion flowers makes me think of my mother. We had a tree in our front yard and as a girl, I would always bring my teacher a passion flower for her desk. =) The other students could not believe that the flower I brought was real and I had to continually assure them it was. Such pretty blossoms, arent they?

Melissa said...

Yes! I love them! They are very sweet smelling as well. I posted a picture for you of a passion flower.

Susan said...

What a great first project! Looks wonderful. I love the little necklace. Fairly quick and very attractive. I can just imagine it against a black sweater.

Melissa said...

Susan! That's so funny you mention that, I wear it with a dainty black cotton top! I love pink and black together!

Anonymous said...

melissa, i really hate myself for not having visited ur blog earlier.gosh! u r so talented!that little red bag with SRE just stole my heart.ur garden is absolutely stunning.how wonderful it would be to fill ur house with those beautiful, colourful flowers.kudos to u!