Thursday, June 05, 2008

First Doily and Future Plans

I've finally started round 4 of the Doily I'm working on! I had a bit of Tatting Disorientation starting this round for some reason! It was a very odd feeling, but I did get through it and joined correctly and then still disoriented I got a little confused about what shuttle was for the chain! LOL I also eventually figured it out, but it was just weird to have that happen when I feel that I have a pretty good handle on how tatting works. So for any newbies or others who may get disoriented at this spot I took a photo of what it looks like when you join it:
I think part of the reason for the disorientation is that it seems upside down when you look at it like this but this is how you join the round. The pattern is found Here.
I also had the idea to do the doily a second time with graduating colors for each round! Most tatting thread brands don't have that many shades but the Rubi threads although not my fave to work with do have enough shades! I'm thinking of either of these two options either having a very little white in the center with red as the last round or having more white in the center and skipping the red. I could also reverse the color graduation to a dark center to lighter outer rounds. I still haven't decided.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Your doily is looking good, girlfriend! I like the bottom color scheme the best. I think it'll look nice. Maybe you should tat it two more times with the color scheme going each way so you can decide when your done...LOL
Yes? NO?

Melissa said...

LOL Well that would be a LOT of tatting! LOL

Tatskool said...

Ah but it would be worth it to see the effect of the different colour schemes, and once you have done it the first time it gets easier and automatic and it really does grow quickly..honest!

Scroll down to the third set of doileys on my blog, the difference as amazing.
http://tatsakoolchallenge.blogspot.com/search/label/Doily

prairieknitter01 said...

Melissa - your work is lovely. But, what is your experience with Rubi? I have three bags of it, and now I'm a little worried....

Andrea

Melissa said...

Thanks Pamela! I'll be sure to read more one your blog when I get a chance my weekend is already starting to pick up pace and it's not looking like it's going to slow down till Monday! I did take a peek and want to take some time browsing and reading!

Andrea,
The Rubi thread, well it's just not the best I bought a whole bunch on ebay and it is usable it's just not my favorite to work with it's kinda fuzzy and can break easy so you have to be very gentle with it and not tat too tightly if you are a tight tatter. Other than that the colors are great and it is very inexpensive! You should try it to see if the cons outweigh the pros for you or not. I will use it even with the cons but it's not my first choice.

Anonymous said...

Melissa, I think if you do the reverse graduation, maybe you shouldn't do the last round with a white, because it won't be seen so much (because the rest of the doily will have darker colours). Different is the case when the entire doily is white, and different is the case if the lighter colours are in the center, because the darker ones will frame them (so white will be fine there). But you can use Wally Sosa's method to predict how they will look like. And yes, the colours are great.