For the rose challenge this week, I choose the spider-web rose. I know it's a tried and true favorite, but I wanted to test out some different ideas with it.
The first is a Large rose, I put a ruler in so you can see the size of it. First I wove a 4mm solid silk ribbon and then I wove 7mm variegated silk ribbon around that. Being that it was so large it needed to be tacked down so it wouldn't pull out. I'd also suggest trying a 7 spokes wheel instead of 5 as well. Then I added yellow french knots and beads to the center.
The next rose, I wove a normal spider-web rose in 4mm, but after I took 7mm and worked the chain stitch all the way around it. Then I added beads to the middle. I think it makes a nice plump ruffly rose.
Then with the next rose I wove 4mm part way then 7mm the rest. Then I took 7mm and worked the chain stitch three quarters around, then I added loops. I added beads to the middle and to top it off I made a few loose ribbon stitch petals that have fallen from the rose in 7mm.
The next to last rose I used an awl and poked a hole in the middle of the wheel and added a tiny folded center, then I wove 7mm around that.
The last rose, I just added since I got the idea from Eve, over at the Hand Embroidery Group. I used a fuzzy yarn with gold seed beads. It looks kind of Christmas-ish, also kind of looks like a birds nest! LOL