Saturday, February 16, 2013

CQJP 2013: Block 2 Left Seam Treatment

I am really loving this seam treatment!  I'm glad I'm pushing myself to try to create better ones, and I'm finding it's all the layers of stitching that I really like.  I like to look through Carole Samples "Treasury Of Crazy Quilt Stitches" to help my brain brew ideas.  I don't copy any specific thing but I just browse and notice what I like and think about why I like it and if it's possible to incorporate and keep browsing and then I set it aside and look at the seam again and it helps me dream up my own.  It's like I have to input info visually by browsing ideas so I can think of possibilities.
I've tried reproducing seams before in the past and it just never works out.  To me it's like trying to reproduce someone's handwriting!  There are too many variables that have an influence on the result.  So I just use all seam ideas I see as inspiration to spark my own.

Anyway her book is like a nice giant compiled brainstorming session of seam treatment stitch combinations and to see the process of that brainstorming helps my brain start thinking like that too, of possibilities, and they really are endless!

I've even come to enjoy the imperfections of my seam treatments, the way nothing is ever the exact same size even when I try my best to make it so.  I figure it adds to the hand stitched feel, it gives it warmth and personality.  Machines do perfect exact work, and I am not a machine! LOL

So here is what I did:
I added to the center of the base stitching some lazy daisy leaves in green, then some metallic pink straight stitches, and a tiny size 15 silver lined seed bead.

Then the the Cretan Stitch end of the base stitching I added a green fly stitch, light blue lazy daisy stitches that are using a french knot to finish the stitch instead of the normal straight one, and a dark blue colonial knot in the center of the flower.


No comments: