Monday, March 24, 2008

What I'm working on...

Well, now that my time sensitive projects are complete I've gotten out a few projects that can take the backseat when I need them to. I finally got to sew down the lace frame to my Frilly Pink Purse, I just hand sewed it in place also adding tiny size 15 clear seed beads to the flower centers...which you can't really see in the photo but I thought it added a little sparkle without taking away from the block. Now this can be sewn into a purse!
I also grabbed one of the blocks that Wendy pieced for her daughter Rebekah's princess quilt. I have about 5 or 6 just to work on whenever.
I'll be sewing on a couple of tatted caterpillars. The green one was a gift from an online CQ friend and the pink one I was playing around with excess thread left on the shuttle and thought it was cute.
I also did a metalic blue feather stitch seam which I'll be adding more to, and also a double feather stitch seam that I'm adding quarter buttonhole fan flowers. I've wanted to do a seam treatment like that for some time but never got the chance. Ya know what I love about doing Bekah's princess blocks is they don't have to be a work of art...well they are, but not like other blocks. The reason is because it will be used, loved, washed, played with, and so on so what I do has to be durable. The other thing is the single blocks won't stand alone but they will be pieced into a quilt for her bed so it's a different kind of embellishment than if it was to be a framed piece. It's a lot simpler in design, and I can just have fun and everything doesn't have to be perfect or exact. No matter what I do I know Bekah will love it and I'll have gotten to be a part of an heirloom that even if it's tattered will be loved and enjoyed. Wendy's kids are like a niece and nephew to me so it's special to get to add to her quilt as I will also get to add to a quilt for Joseph too.

6 comments:

Wendy said...

You are soooooo sweet! I am so excited about this quilt and to have some of your work on it makes it even better!!! Thank you so much, I absolutely love the caterpillars!!! So cute!
Wendy

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Your frilly pink purse looks wonderful! I'm so glad you're working on a princess block for Bekah... after seeing the video clip, I know she will love it!

Unknown said...

That tatting on the frilly pink purse and all the embroidery is just gorgeous. YUMMY!!

Unknown said...

Is the tatting on the pink purse the doily that got hijacked as a fan that you mentioned on my blog?

Melissa said...

YUP!!! LOL I actually want to start that doily again it was so pretty and I like how it was continuous instead of rounds.

Unknown said...

That looks awesome. Would you be so kind as to let me know where I can the pattern for that doily.You're right it is very pretty and it's great that it is not done in rounds.