Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Tatting Heartbreak

At the last Tatters meeting I was at I was sitting next to a lady (sorry I don't remember her name!) who was working on a beautiful doily about half way through the meeting she noticed she made a mistake on the dark brown outer round of the doily and wouldn't be happy just leaving it and must cut it out! Heartbreaking! Oh I would have cried if it was me! All the last portion of work to be cut out! I asked her if she was going to do anything with it and she said no. So I asked her if I could have it since I do crazy quilting and I might be able to use a piece of it so all her hard work won't have been for nothing! To a tatter this would mean heartbreak and trash...but to a crazy quilter it means treasure! I'm sure I can use at least one portion for CQ and a few smaller "flower" sections. Isn't it wonderful that in CQ we can use bits of things that would otherwise be ruined or trash and make wonderful treasures out of them? I'm excited to see what block this will end up on and I'll be sure to update when I do use it!

4 comments:

Sharon said...

When I worked on an oval doily design the stitch count just wouldn't work out right. on the outer rounds. It either ruffled or cupped and it took about 3 tried to get it right and each time I had to do the rounds over again, it wasn't until the round was nearing completion that I knew whether it was going to work or not. I've cut off a lot of tatting before, but never so much as when I was working on the oval doily with bzillions of picots.

LadyShuttleMaker aka MadMadPotter said...

I am glad to see all her work won't go to waste.
Melissa, is it o.k if I put a link to your blog on my site? It will make it easier for me to keep up with what you are doing.
Hugs,
Sherry

Gina said...

Oh bummer! And in black - it's so hard to tat with black thread. Yep, you'll be able to use lots of it in CQ. Even the pieces she cut into, you can hide the cut edge with a ribbon or button or something. Good for you for salvaging it!
:-) Gina

Melissa said...

Gina,
That is exactly what I figured that I could hide the cut ends in a seam or under SRE or buttons or...LOL! The color is actually a dark brown but just as hard to tat with! LOL
Melissa