Here's my experimental hummingbird. I wanted to have a reflective throat so I used a red sequin. First I made a straight stitch in green 4mm then I stitched the sequin on cupped side up, then I stitched another straight stitch overlapping the previous one and covering half the sequin. Then I made a french knot for the head and covered it with a straight stitch. For the wings I used the 4mm and did 2 ribbon stitches pierced near the edge instead of the middle. The tail I used 2mm in a matching green and made 3 ribbon stitches. You could do the tail in 4mm as well but I thought it looked nice in 2mm. Last I stitched the beak in a straight stitch with 2 strands black floss, although you can barely see it in this photo!
Click Here to see my progress on the heart.